Our Community Commitment
One of the values we hold close to our hearts is our commitment to the community of Rotorua and wider New Zealand. There are a number of activities that we undertake throughout the year to ensure we are engaged and give back …even if it’s in a small way.
Annual Rotorua Locals Weekend
This is where we offer free of charge OGO rides to our local community (with identification) in return for cans of food, which we then donate to the Salvation Army in time for Christmas. This weekend always coincides with our birthday in December and a great way to celebrate! Watch this space for information about our 2018 event.
We have a strong commitment to ensuring that we practise a sustainable business platform that considers the environmental, social and financial impacts when planning for OGO business. Native tree planting, pest management, free school group talks, SH5 rubbish warriors and food bank fundraisers are all part of what is integrated into our day to day business. OGO Rotorua is also a member of the Rotorua Sustainable Tourism Charter.
OGO Rotorua has made a commitment to the New Zealand Tourism Sustainability programme – This initiative aims to see every New Zealand tourism business committed to sustainability by 2025. To deliver on this, we must achieve ambitious economic goals while sharing the overwhelming benefits with supportive host communities, contributing to restoring, protecting and enhancing our natural environment, and continuing to be a high quality destination of choice for domestic and international travellers. Find out more here: www.sustainabletourism.nz
Part of our Sustainable Commitment includes:
- All site rubbish is sorted and recycled weekly.
- We reuse all OGO parts were possible, the rest gets recycled into children’s playground safety mats.
- OGO worm farm and compost set up to dispose of all our organic waste.
- Roadside Rubbish Warriors – Daily rubbish collection from SH5.
- We only use natural and organic cleaning products onsite.
- Through Ngati Whakaue, we recently planted over 2500 native NZ trees & plants on the hillside of our site.
Our commitment also includes creating a sustainable and viable tourism industry that benefits the entire community, through staff up skilling, well being programmes (OGO Bootcamp), exhibiting at the Rotorua Careers Expo and educational workshops with local and domestic schools of all of ages we aim to demonstrate tourism as a prosperous and rewarding career option.
Ngati Whakaue Tribal Farmlands
We have a strong relationship with local iwi that demonstrates the relationship between the commercial world of tourism and the landowners (Ngati Whakaue). If OGO is successful, then a higher percentage of our revenue is paid to Ngati Whakaue, in turn this is invested into the future of the tribe, to provide a sustainable income source for the iwi. We also support Ngati Whakaue’s future leaders programme, where the youth learn about the different ways in which the iwi uses their land. We are privileged to share this relationship with the iwi.
Every year we commit to donating $10,000 worth of OGO rides/vouchers to local community groups to assist with their own fundraising efforts. Over the past 12 months we are proud to have supported the following groups:
- Kawaha Point Primary School Gala
- Rotorua Bike Festival
- Ronald McDonald House
- The Professionals Child Cancer Breakfast Auction
- Okere Falls Store Oxfam fundraiser
- Ronald McDonald Supper Club
- Mamaku Primary School Gala
- St Marys School Gala
- Western Heights Primary School Gala
- Selwyn Primary School Gala
- St John Heart of Gold Appeal
- One Chance Youth Awards
- Cure Kids Ball
- Rotorua Youth Centre
- Life Education Trust
- Western Heights High School – Young Enterprise Scheme
- Netball Rotorua
- Marist Rotorua under 12 Rugby Team
- Te Waiariki Purea Trust
- Te Papa Tākaro o Te Arawa
- Rotorua Pink Walk
If you are a Rotorua based school, fundraising group or community organisation seeking sponsorship you are welcome to submit your request to our team for consideration: Email: email@example.com